The Railway board is the Chief Administrative and Executive body assisting the Minister of Railway in the discharge of his functions. The Railway board as at present constituted consists of: -
1. Chairman Railway board
2. Financial Commissioner Railway
3. Five Members Each In Charge Of Traffic, Staff, Mechanical, Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering.
Functions of Chairman: -
The chairman Railway board is Ex- officio Principal Secretary to the Government of India in the ministry of Railway. He is solely responsible under the Ministry of Railway for arriving at decisions on technical questions and advising the Govt. of India on the matters of Railway policy.
Functions of Financial Commissioner: -
Financial commissioner for Railway represents the ministry of finance on the Railway board and also functions as Ex-officio Secretary to Govt. of India in the ministry of Railway in the financial matters. He has direct contact with the Finance Minister whom he keeps informed of development in minister of Railway. In case of any disagreement with chairman or Railway minister on any financial aspect, he has the right to refer to the Finance Ministry.
Function of Railway Board Members: -
Each of the members is responsible for dealing with all aspect of the technical subject of which he is in charge. In order to he able to effectively discharge the duties and responsibilities. There are also additional members in Railway board for smooth & effective working.
Other Members of Railway Board: -
Several Directorates each under an Adviser assists Railway Board, such as Adviser Works, Mechanical, Traffic, Commercial and Civil Engineering. Executive Directors assist such Adviser. For further coordination there exists Directors, Joint Direct, Deputy Directors and Assistant Director.
The Advisers are responsible for issuing instructions direct to Railway administration including production units and other units controlled by Railway Board and receive and deal with reference from general public and other ministry, of Govt. of India with their respective jurisdiction.
i) Attached Offices
ii) Subordinate Offices
iii) Railway Recruitment Boards.
iv) Railway Zones & Management.
i) Attached Offices: -
The Railway Board has the following attached and subordinate offices
i) The Research, Designs & Standards Organization (R.D.S.O/ Lucknow) which has provided the status of Zonal Railway
ii) Office of the Railway Liaison Office with Directorate General of Supplies and Disposal. (D.G.S &.D)
ii) Subordinate Offices: -
1. Railway Recruitment Boards : 20 in nos
2. Railway Staff College, Vadodara
3. Indian Railway Institute Of Civil Engineering (IRICEN)- Pune.
4. Indian Railway Institute Of Electrical Engineering (IRIEEN)- Nasik
5. Indian Railway Institute Of Mechanical Engineering (IRIME)- Kharakpur
6. Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunication (IRISET), Secundrabad.
iii) Railway Recruitment Boards: -
1. Ahmedabad 6. Bhubneshwer 11. Gorakapur 16. Mumbai
2. Ajmer 7. Bilaspur 12. Guhati 17. Patna
3. Allahabad 8. Chandigarh 13. Jammu 18. Ranchi
4. Banglore 9. Channai 14. Malda 19. Secundrabad
5. Bhopal 10. Colcutta 15. Mujjafarpur 20. Trivendrum
* Rly Bds notification No. E(RRB)2009/25/25 dtd 07/10/2009.
iv) Zonal Railway And Their Head Quarters: -
On operational and management consideration, the Indian Railway has been divided into sixteen zones in order to have smooth and efficient working. General Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer answerable to Railway Board for all maters affecting the working of Railway. These are as under. Sno. Zonal Railways Head Quarter Subordinate Organization
In order to discharge the administrative work smoothly& effectively there exists Addl.General Manager, Senior Deputy General Manager, Deputy General Manager, Chief Public Relations Officer, and the Heads of Department for its functioning: -
1) Operating - Chief Operation Manager. (COM)
2) Engineering - Principal Chief Engineer (PCE)
3) Mechanical - Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME).
4) Electrical - Chief Electrical Engineer. (CEE)
5) S&T - Chief Signal And Telecommunication Engineer. (CSTE)
6) Account - Financial Adviser And Chief Account Officer. (FA&CAO)
7) Commercial - Chief Commercial Manager. (CCM)
8) Personnel - Chief Personnel Officers. (CPO)
9) Store - Controller Of Store.(COS)
10) Medical - Chief Medical Director. (CMD)
11) Security - Chief Security Commissioner. (CSC)
The above mentioned Head of department are responsible for functions of their department efficiency and are direct responsible for all matter concerning to their development. They have been provided with Deputy, Senior and Junior scale officer to assist them in discharging of their duties efficiently.